Saturday, March 22, 2008

Lisa McPherson and False Reports

chakurakid15 asked about Lisa McPherson. (Lisa was a Scientologist whose death has been used by anti-religious bigots to attack her religion.)

My Answer:
My own knowledge of this is that Lisa died from a Pulmonary Embolism (PE), which is "a sudden blockage in a lung artery, usually due to a blood clot that traveled to the lung from a vein in the leg."

That is what happened to Lisa. She had a minor car accident in which she injured her leg. She was staying at a religious retreat when the blood clot reached her lungs and she died very shortly afterwards.

According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, "At least 100,000 cases of PE occur each year in the United States. PE is the third most common cause of death in hospitalized patients. If left untreated, about 30 percent of patients with PE will die. Most of those who die do so within the first few hours of the event."

So it is not an unusual occurrence. Unfortunately, anti-religious bigots have taken a terrible accident and twisted it into a campaign of lies and abhorrent accusations. People who hate Scientologists, and therefore hated Lisa when she was alive, are using her to attack her religion. Pretty sick if you ask me.

Here is the truth about some lies I have seen on the Internet regarding her death:
-- The religious retreat she was staying at is a luxury hotel. I know this because I've stayed there several times myself. The rooms are much nicer than those of the numerous hotels I've stayed in when I've traveled for work and the service is second to none. I've never been taken care of like I am at the Fort Harrison. You can take an online tour of the Fort Harrison Hotel.

-- Other cases by Medical Examiner Joan Wood were found to have put innocent people behind bars: Medical examiner's apparent mistakes put man in jail, Another man jailed because of medical examiner's mistake

-- Lisa's final death certificate quite clearly states that her death was accidental: Lisa McPherson death certificate.

-- She did not lose any weight while at the religious retreat and she was not dehydrated - see the death certificate and: Press Release about the dismissal of charges.

I think it is pretty clear from the facts that some sickos have taken a tragedy and tried to twist it to their bigoted advantage.

No comments: