Sunday, July 06, 2008

"I hate Scientology," he said

While out exercising, a friend of mine got into a conversation with a guy and just as they were ending the chat, the fellow said, "You'd better not hang around here. The Scientologists will recruit you." (They were not far from the local church.)

In a light, joking tone, my friend said, "Too late. I was already recruited." To which the man replied, "I hate Scientology. I hate Tom Cruise. I hate John Travolta ..." and more.

My friend could have just told the guy to stick his opinions where the sun doesn't shine, but she decided to find out why he "hated" everything about Scientology.

It turned out that he had never been to a Church of Scientology and he had never met or spoken to a Scientologist. His only source of data had been nasty Internet web sites.

After two hours of finding out what his objections were and handling them with factual data, the man apologized for his earlier attitude and utterances. He now knew some facts, whereas before he had known only rumors.

They parted on friendly terms. He was no longer antagonistic toward Scientology and my friend had found a new friend.

So, the moral of the story is: don't blindly believe everything you read on the Internet. Find out for yourself and make up your own mind.

No comments: