Monday, May 08, 2006

Dianetics still as popular as ever

After 56 years, the book that started it all, "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health" is still as popular as ever: With 56th Anniversary Nearing, Dianetics Speeds toward 22 Million in Sales.

I first came across the book in 1977. I read it and it made so much sense that at first I thought, "well, isn't this what they do in psychology?" A friend who had a degree in psychology explained to me how psychology had no clue what the mind was and was basically a matter of passing fads: Today it's "penis envy" tomorrow it's "a chemical imbalance" and the day after it's "potty training". I was at university at the time and I recall asking another student who was studying psychology about that subject, "It's alright if you like electrocuting rats," was his only comment.

So my viewpoint on Dianetics changed and I paid more attention to it. After I received some Dianetic counseling myself I was convinced: This stuff works! So on the anniversary of the book (which is tomorrow, May 9th), do yourself a favor, get the book, read it and then use it!

No comments: