Wednesday, July 04, 2007

More on Germany and Scientology

Here is an article from columnist Susan Estrich regarding the recent situation in Germany: Tom Cruise And The German Problem.

I particularly agree with:

"... the film Mr. Cruise is set to star in has absolutely nothing to do with Scientology. Mr. Cruise is an actor seeking to work in his craft, and the Germans are seeking to prohibit him from doing so because of his religious views. If any country should be sensitive to the harms of religious discrimination, it is Germany."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, hate, or be indifferent to Scientology, to me at least it sounds like the "higher ups" in Germany are doing to Tom Cruise in a personal-professional manner of speaking what Hitler's regime did to Count Stauffenberg...

I'm not particularly a fan of Tom Cruise, as a matter of fact, I'm NOT a Tom Cruise fan, but I wouldn't prohibit access to him filmmaking due to his religion. That's censorship...I don't "hate" Tom Cruise, I just haven't seen any movies. with the possible exception of "War of the Worlds" that I even remotely cared for...

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about...LOL..

Grahame said...

It's not particularly relevant to the post but I think that Cruise was outstanding in: Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Minority Report, Last Samurai and Collateral (as well as War of the Worlds, which you mentioned). I've not really enjoyed the Mission Impossible movies; although I like a fair amount of action, I prefer good characterization and some point to the movie (such as the social commentary in Minority Report).

Anyway, thanks for your comment. Religion should not be an issue when we're talking about a business activity such as film making.

Andrea GerĂ¡k said...

Excellent article, thank you for finding it!
Regardless of who is the person experiencing such discrimination, the Germans (and a couploe of other countries) should learn from history.