Saturday, March 08, 2008

A Scientologist's Life

SomethingNice asked:

I have a question about Scientology: What would you say are the most common, usual, regular, daily or weekly activities of most Scientologists, inside their Church or in their day-to-day life?

I answered:
That's almost impossible to answer because Scientologists are individuals and they have different jobs, different friends, different likes and dislikes. I guess eating, sleeping and breathing would be an answer :) It's sort of like answering "What are the most common, usual, regular, daily or weekly activities of most Human Beings?"

I can try to answer it personally and for some people that I know, but that's the best I can do.

Right now my activities are pretty straightforward.
-- Weekdays:
I go to work during the day. I come home. I sometimes do some blogging or maybe I watch a movie. I'm also writing a novel so I may do some work on that.
-- Weekends:
I do the usual chores: sweep out the leaves so we don't get a flood from blocked drains, grocery shopping, etc. (exciting, eh?). Saturday afternoon I'm studying the book "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health" as part of a longer term program to restudy all the basics of Scientology. Sunday I do some volunteer work with my Church, which often includes helping people who are having some difficulty in life. And whenever I can I work on my novel.
-- In a couple of months I will be adding daily auditing to my schedule - that should be a blast!

I have a friend who works in real estate. Her weekly activities consist of:
-- Weekdays:
She starts the day answering emails. Then she does research to find properties clients may be interested in, sets appointments with clients, takes them to see houses, etc. Three evenings a week she goes on course at the local Church. She's on the same study program that many, many Scientologists are on just now - the Basics. Every Friday night she goes to Graduation at her local Church. This is where people who completed services that week get presented with their certificates. They share their wins and gains with those attending. It is very uplifting because you get to see how others are improving their lives using Scientology.
-- Weekends:
She's mainly doing open houses and showing clients around. Usual real-estate related stuff. And of course she has some leisure time in amongst all this.

Another friend.
-- Weekdays:
Goes to work during the day, in the evenings she is on course at her local Church of Scientology, training to be an auditor.
-- Weekends:
She does the usual boring things we all have to do at the weekend: groceries, chores, etc. And in amongst all that she looks after her son and takes hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of photos of him every week.

It seems SomethingNice asked another Scientologist the same question. Here is what she said: What is life as a Scientologist like?

So there are examples from four Scientologists. I hope that answers your question.

No comments: